I have become slightly obsessed with my slow cooker and have been searching for different recipes to make. Slow cooker mashed potatoes will definitely save room on the stove this Thanksgiving!
I have had my slow cooker since I was married 16 years ago. In my Chicken Noodle Soup post, I talked about how I rarely use the machine.
With our busy schedule, we tend to eat dinner late. My hubby now works from home, so we have the ability to eat early. Slow cooking is really the way to go when trying to have meals ready shortly after I get home from work. My hubby is working even though he is home, so he certainly can't spend too much time cooking. He can however easily place ingredients into a slow cooker and turn it on. I have created a Pinterest board for slow cooker recipes and my goal is to use the slow cooker more often.
I never would have considered making mashed potatoes in a slow cooker until last Thanksgiving. We went to my sister-in-law's house for dinner and her mother-in-law made mashed potatoes in the slow cooker. They were delicious! I was pleasantly surprised because I was expecting boxed mashed potatoes. My in-laws only make instant mashed potatoes so I wasn't going to be surprised if my husband's sister did the same thing!
Why make mashed potatoes in a slow cooker?
- You save space on your stove top, which is especially helpful for the holidays when you may have many different dishes to prepare.
- The potatoes stay warm in the slow cooker. Mashed potatoes can lose their temperature fast, so by preparing them and storing them in the slow cooker you have the ability to keep them warm during dinner.
[Tweet "Slow cooker mashed potatoes will save you space on your cooktop for other dishes #Thanksgiving @nourishedsimply"]
I love garlic mashed potatoes and twice baked potatoes. I tried to combine elements of both into this recipe from the garlic to the sour cream and chives. My son absolutely loved these mashed potatoes. I can't say hubby was crazy in love though. He really doesn't like the skin left on the potatoes, so next week the potatoes will be peeled before cooking.
Do you like the skin on or off the potatoes?
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Grease a slow cooker with butter (bottom and sides)
- Cut each red potato in half. (Leave the skin on the potatoes if you wish)
- Place potatoes into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
- When potatoes are cooked through (a fork should insert easily into the potatoes) mash with a potato masher.
- Place remaining ingredients into the slow cooker. Mix well either with a spoon or hand held electric mixer until well blended.