Many holiday celebrations happen at dinner time. Many recipes therefor are for dinner meals. What about lunchtime recipes? This festive cranberry pecan chicken salad is a perfect choice for your lunchtime festivities!
This post was originally posted in December 2015.
I love to add different ingredients to chicken salad. Sweet and salty combos are the best! This particular recipe is perfect for the holidays not only because of the flavor, but also the colors.
Most of our family holiday celebrations happen at dinner time. Rarely are we together for lunch. On Christmas Day we are usually driving around lunchtime between my hubby's parent's home and my parent's home. We eat breakfast so late at my in-law's house there is no way lunch is going to be consumed. But what if you have a gathering at lunchtime and want salads and sandwiches instead of hot food?
Combining the flavors of the holiday and winter season is a great option. What says Fall/Winter more than cranberries and pecans? These ingredients also add an interesting texture and flavor combination to chicken salad. The colors are pretty too, which is a bonus.
- You can easily make chicken salad with a store-made rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken.
- I cook chicken breast in chicken broth over the stovetop, slow cooker, or oven.
- This batch only used two large chicken breasts, but you can get about 8-10 ½ cup servings out of the recipe.
- You can use Greek yogurt in place of half the mayonnaise in order to decrease the fat content.
- You can use reduced sugar dried cranberries to decrease the sugar content.
Here are a few other lunchtime suggestions in addition to Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad that your guest will enjoy:
Caprese Salad is simple to make with only 4 ingredients. This salad is low in carbs and rich in protein.
Strawberry Spinach Salad is festive as well. Fresh spinach with juicy strawberries and sweet pecans. The colors of the season!
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup low calorie mayonnaise or mayonnaise of your choice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt optional
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl combine chicken, celery, onion, cranberries, and pecans.
- Stir to combine.
- Add into chicken salad mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or on whole grain bread.
How to Serve Chicken Salad
- Make sandwiches ahead of time using a crusty roll, pumpernickel, or whole-grain bread. For a lower carb version serve on individual plates with a bed of lettuce.
- For guests serving themselves serve in a large serving bowl and make sure you have the proper serving spoon!
- This dish pairs well with a side salad.
I prefer chicken salad served on a bed of lettuce, but don't mind a good roll or toasted wheat bread either. How do you enjoy chicken salad? Let me know in the comments below.