For the past three years, my in-laws have rented a condo down in the Florida Keys during the month of February. It’s a great way for them to get out of the cold weather in Pennsylvania. We have taken advantage of my kids usually having a five the weekend around Presidents’ Day to visit with them.
For the first two years, we visited at the same time as the Islamorada chili cook-off. This year we missed it. My son who loves spicy food requested last year to go check out the chili cook-off. At the cook-off, you could purchase tickets to sample chilies from different contestants.
It was at last year’s chili cook-off that we tasted chicken Verde chili for the first time. I have always made chili with a tomato base, so this different way was new to me! Some of the competitors made the traditional chili that I was familiar with, while others made a “green” version known as Verde chili. My son was absolutely in love and he asked me several times if I could try to make Verde chili at home.
Verde chili recipes use either chicken or pork. I don’t use pork often, so I made this chili with boneless skinless chicken breasts. I used an already prepared Verde sauce, however in case you are curious most recipes use a combination of Serrano, Jalapeno, and Anaheim peppers. Tomatillos make up the base of the sauce. White beans are used, which keeps the color of the chili consistent.
I used a slow cooker for this recipe, however, you can easily prepare the same recipe on the stovetop if you want to.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups salsa verde
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup onion slices
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place onion and jalapeno pepper in the bottom of a slow cooker ( I used a 6 quart)
- Place chicken breast on top of vegetables.
- Add seasonings: cumin, cilantro, salt and pepper on top of chicken breasts.
- Pour in chicken broth and salsa verde.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- After three hours add white beans to the chili and cook for another (1) hour.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.