Need a speedy dinner meal for a busy night? Sheet pan dinners to the rescue! Sheet pan chicken fajitas can be made in just 30 minutes. If you are following a low sodium diet these have only 140 mg of sodium per serving.
If you are a Pinterest user I'm sure you've seen sheet pan meals. These meals have become just as popular as one-pot meals. Not only are most of these recipes quick, but they decrease your clean up time tremendously.
You can find sheet pan recipes for breakfast, dinner, and dessert. You can even make a sheet pan Thanksgiving Dinner!
Whenever I put a recipe together I always think about what ingredients I usually have on hand and also what my family likes. We usually have chicken in the freezer. I always have at least one onion and pepper around just in case we are in the mood for a stir fry or sausage and peppers. All three, of course, are ingredients for Chicken Fajitas.
I haven't made fajitas in years. Not sure why. I guess I assumed the kids wouldn't like them. I could forget that my son loves spicy food? When I did I always used fajitas seasoning packets you can pick up in the grocery store. Most fajita seasoning mixes contain salt, approximately 250 mg per serving. I was able to make my own with spices I already had without any salt!
When I did make fajitas in the past I always used fajitas seasoning packets you can pick up in the grocery store. I'm sure most people do. Fajita seasoning mixes contain salt, approximately 250 mg per serving. I make my own fajita/taco seasoning mix with spices I already had in my pantry without any salt!
You will likely use flour or corn tortillas. Prepackaged tortillas can contribute over 300 mg of sodium, no longer making this a low sodium meal! Solution: purchase low sodium tortillas or make homemade tortillas.
Tips to make low sodium Chicken Fajitas!
- To speed up prep time cut up your veggies ahead of time.
- Use chicken tenders rather than chicken breasts so you don't have to spend time cutting up chicken.
- If you like your peppers and onions cooked really well like I do you can cook them on the sheet pan for about 10-15 minutes prior to adding the chicken.
- If you don't have olive oil in a spray just drizzle about 1-2 teaspoons on the sheet pan and use a paper towel or brush to coat the sheet pan.
- If you want to avoid the salt from the tortillas serve these in a bowl with rice or cauliflower rice for a low carb fajita bowl!
- If you don't want to make a homemade seasoning mix you can use packaged, however, choose the lower sodium option.
Low Sodium Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 2 lbs chicken breast tenderloin each sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 vidalia onion sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon Low Salt Fajita Seasoning Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a sheet pan with olive oil spray.
- Spread pepper and onion slices onto prepared sheet pan.
- Place chicken slices on top of vegetables.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken, peppers, and onion.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over chicken, peppers, and onion.
- Gently toss ingredients to evenly distribute seasoning and oil. (make sure chicken strips are not overlapping)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve in warm low sodium tortillas.
- Top with your favorite toppings! I love cheddar cheese and sour cream.
Look for more low salt recipes? Check out these low sodium recipes!