Today is Earth Day! One great way to help the environment is to reduce food waste. My recipe for Ginger Soy Hakurei Turnips uses the entire plant. No greens are thrown away here.
I have participated in a CSA farm share for the past year. Hakurei turnips have made an appearance in our share a few times throughout the year. Hakurei turnips are also known as Toyko turnips. These turnips are similar to other turnips, however, they can be consumed raw, so are also known as salad turnips. Turnips are a good source of vitamin C.
Many times when we are cutting and preparing vegetables for cooking we trash the leaves or greens. You can eat the leaves and stems of the Hakurei Turnip, so there is no waste. The leaves and stems of these veggies can be consumed raw mixed in a salad or cooked as in this Ginger Soy Hakurei Turnip recipe.
The turnip bulbs should be washed of course. Peeling the turnips is optional. I peeled these turnips just to get rid of any discolored parts, but you don't have to. The stems and leaves should be washed to remove dirt. You may need to wash more than once to get rid of all the dirt.
Here are some other side dishes you might like:
Roasted Broccoli with Parmigiano Reggiano
Ginger Soy Hakurei Turnips
- 1-2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated (also can us instead ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger)
- 1 bunch Hakurei Turnips wash, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- In a saute pan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and ginger, saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add turnips into saute pan, cook until slightly brown for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in greens and soy sauce cooking until greens begin to wilt 1-2 minutes.
Kelly Jones says
Looks great! I need to get turnips in my kitchen more often!
Jennifer Lynn-Pullman says
Thanks! Glad you enjoy these.
Yummers!!! Simple and absolutely delicious! Thank you for this recipe!
Grace Medford says
Delicious! I loved using the turnip greens. It made a great combination!
Super delicious and easy! Thank you