Do you have trouble eating the recommended servings of fruit each day? Try a fruit smoothie! This Vegan Double Berry Banana Smoothie has 2 servings of fruit.
One of the biggest challenges I hear from patients is finding ways to eat more fruit and veggies. I struggle with this too, because I don't naturally choose fruit and vegetables to eat. I'm a meat and starch kind of girl, so really need to make a conscious effort to include fruit and veggies into my meals.
Smoothies are a great way to sneak in extra servings of fruit and/or veggies. I have to admit that the only smoothie I enjoy that includes veggies is my Green Smoothie. This vegan double berry banana smoothie is my favorite all fruit smoothie.
My Vitamix has to be one of my favorite gifts (next to my hand-held Dyson vacuum!). I would never have thought I would be excited to receive an appliance as a Christmas gift! I don't leave many appliances out on my kitchen counter, but my Vitamix stays out so I can quickly whip up a smoothie or protein shake whenever I feel like it although it's usually when I'm running late for work!
[Tweet "Do you have trouble eating the recommended servings of fruit each day? Try a fruit smoothie! "]
Tips to make the perfect vegan double berry banana smoothie:
- Use frozen fruit: I prefer smoothies really cold and almost like a slushy. I always use a frozen banana but will use frozen berries if possible too. Freezing fruit before they go bad is a great way to reduce food waste too.
- Defrost fruit just slightly: I know I just told you to use frozen fruit, but if the fruit is really hard, especially the banana, the blender may not work well. I let the fruit sit out for a few minutes just to begin to defrost.
- Add liquid first: from experience, I think the smoothie blend better if the liquid is covering the blades of the blender.
I have a confession. I don't like to eat bananas or blueberries. I don't like the texture of bananas or the tartness of blueberries. This smoothie allows me to get all the benefits of these fruits that I would otherwise be missing.
Coconut milk is not a good source of protein, so I don't consider this smoothie a substitute for a meal. If you want to add protein you can either change the liquid to soy milk or add a vegan protein powder.
Vegan Double Berry Banana Smoothie
- ¾ cup coconut milk sweetened or unsweetened
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- 1 small banana or ½ of a large banana
- 1 cup strawberries
- Pour coconut milk into blender.
- Add banana, strawberries, and blueberries.
- Blend to desired consistency.