I wasn’t sure if this post was going to go out today. We were supposed to spend the day at the Great Wolf Lodge in the Pocono Mountain area, however, last night my son was playing at the Lodge with some of his classmates and fell. We needed to check out early this morning to have his arm looked at by an orthopedic doctor. We came home with cast number 4. The break is very small and the cast should only be on for about 5 weeks. This is the 4th break, 2nd on his left wrist.
Since we are home early with little to do I am able to get this post out today. I think this is a great recipe for a Thanksgiving dinner menu. Vegan roasted acorn squash soup is a great Fall inspired soup.
It’s about 70 degrees here in Bucks County today. Not really feeling like Fall at all! We are expecting snow by Wednesday so soup will be a great choice by then.
I have tried to make butternut squash on several occasions but never liked the taste. I decided to abandon butternut squash and turned to a different squash variety to use in a soup. Acorn squash to me has a milder flavor than butternut squash. This recipe includes only vegetables and vegetable stock, so is vegan. A perfect soup for Meatless Monday!
[Tweet “Acorn squash soup is perfect for #meatlessmonday or #Thanksgiving.”]
The soup itself comes together quickly, however, you need to roast the acorn squash prior to preparing the soup. I roasted the acorn squash the night before I made the soup, just because I had time.
- 2 cups acorn squash
- 3 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced or shredded
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 granny smith apple peeled and diced.
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut acorn squash into cubes removing skin.
- Place acorn squash cubes in a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil over squash.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Roast squash for about 45 minutes or until soft.
- In a Dutch oven heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, onion, apple, and carrots, cook about 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add in roasted acorn squash.
- Add vegetable stock and sage.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables and apple are soft.
- Blend until smooth with your choice of a blender.
Tips to make Vegan Acorn Squash Soup:
- If you have trouble peeling the squash prick the acorn squash with a fork several times and microwave for about 2-3 minutes to soften. This will make cutting the squash easier.
- You may used dried sage instead of fresh.
- To lower the sodium content us low-salt vegetable broth