Do you skip breakfast, because you don't have enough time to eat? Grab a roasted pepper & spinach breakfast egg muffin for a high protein, low carb grab and go breakfast!
If you are a regular reader of Nourished Simply you already know about my love for muffins. My mornings, like most, are really busy. So, I need a quick grab and go breakfast. Homemade muffins are my go-to choice, however not the best protein choice. Egg muffins are easy to make and such a filling high protein choice.
I make myself an omelet once or twice a week. My favorite additions to the egg and cheese are roasted peppers and fresh spinach. These egg muffins use these same ingredients. Omelets take much more attention then muffins, so this is a great option for busy mornings. You can make the muffins ahead and either refrigerate or freeze them for later. Reheat the egg muffins for about 20 seconds in the microwave and head out the door!
I only use 6 eggs in this recipe. You can increase the recipe and make a full dozen if you wish. It is rare that we have a full dozen eggs in the refrigerator. Eggs are always put to use in our house, usually in baked goods or Saturday morning pancakes.
Tips to make a great breakfast egg muffin:
- Grease the muffin cups: you can use butter or cooking spray. Make sure the cups are well-cooked otherwise the egg will stick. I love silicone muffin cups instead of a muffin pan for this recipe.
- Add the veggies into the muffin cup first then add the egg mixture.
- You can use any vegetables you wish. Make sure the veggies are cooked ahead of time if the veggies are not naturally soft.
- Top with cheese. You can use any cheese you wish.
You don't have to just eat these egg muffins for breakfast. I had two egg muffins on Monday of this week for lunch. They were a great protein choice after a spinning class and a weight workout.
Roasted Pepper & Spinach Breakfast Egg Muffin
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- ⅓ cup roasted peppers diced
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl.
- Beat milk into egg mixture.
- Grease six muffin cups with butter.
- Divide spinach and roasted peppers evenly into 6 muffin cups.
- Pour in egg mixture evenly into muffin cups
- Divide mozzarella cheese evenly among muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until no longer wet.