Wouldn't you love to wake up on Thanksgiving morning to the smell of warm Pumpkin muffins? Add these pumpkin pecan muffins to your holiday breakfast menu.
Pumpkins are the symbol of Fall and Fall events like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Many Thanksgiving dishes include pumpkin as an ingredient. I have to be honest, I tend to shy away from pumpkin. I have come to realize that it's more of the pumpkin spice that I dislike, not the pumpkin itself. Pumpkin spice is made of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg (or mace), cloves, and allspice. I think allspice is what I dislike the most.
A few weeks ago the hospital cafeteria featured a pumpkin day. They served pumpkin coffee, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie etc. I taste tested a sample of pumpkin bread and loved it because it was not overly spiced. I felt that I could replicate this flavor in muffins.
I used to be called the food lady. With all the muffin recipes I keep posting I may become the muffin lady!
I used some of the spices traditionally used in the pumpkin spice, but not all. I love cinnamon and nutmeg, so there was no question about using either. I omitted ginger and cloves but kept in the allspice. The allspice was though limited.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup skim milk
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoon granulate sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients: flours, salt, baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine, sugar, butter, vanilla, pumpkin, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Stir wet ingredients until combined.
- Slowly stir in egg. (I add the egg last, so the heat from the melted butter does not start to cook the egg).
- Add chopped pecans to the flour mixture.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry just stirring until combined.
- Spoon mixture into a prepared muffin pan.
- Top muffins with pecans and cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes.