The first time I made this soup I was a student at Penn State. All nutrition students were required to take two Hotel/Restaurant Management classes as part of our program. One class involved the management of Cafe Laura, a cafeteria that is open to students and faculty for lunch. We took turns being managers and staff. I have to be honest I hated everything about the class. Hence why I have never worked in foodservice management!
My husband majored in Hotel/Restaurant management. He of course took this class and loved it. He was even a teaching assistant for it once semester. We met in college and were dating at this time. When I took the class he had already graduated and moved to D.C to work. We talked frequently on the phone and I complained constantly. He could not understand why I disliked it.
The best thing I learned in this class was to make Broccoli Cheese Soup. The original recipe contained quantities to feed a lot of people. I did learn how to reduce it, which is a great skill. I was assigned during one meal to prepare the soup in the biggest pot I have ever seen.
I have altered to recipe to be slighly lower in fat. The recipe is not vegan, but lacto-vegetarain. The soup is easy to make, but does use a lot of pots!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese shredded
- 10 oz Broccoli Chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine vegetable broth and broccoli, heating until broccoli is soft.
- In a separate pot heat milk and cream until scalded.
- In a larger soup pot, add butter and onions.
- Cook onions until they soften.
- Add flour slowly to butter stirring to make a roux.
- Slowly add stock to the roux with a whisk.
- Make sure to keep the soup thick.
- Next add milk slowly and continue to stir with a whisk.
- Add cheddar cheese and season.
- Heat soup until the cheese is melted and the soup has thickened.
- Serve with 1 TB cheddar cheese on top.
I have a Pinterest Board dedicated just to soup! Check it out for some other great soup recipes to enjoy!