How many mornings are you and your kids scrambling to eat breakfast and get yourselves out the door to school and work on time? That's us every day. A Ham & Cheese Breakfast Taquito is the perfect protein-packed breakfast for those busy mornings!
This month's Recipe Redux challenge: Rise and Shine with a Savory Breakfast challenged us to share recipes for breakfast that are protein-packed or dinner inspired. Many breakfast options are carb-heavy. A more balanced breakfast that contains not only carbs but protein and fat increases satiety and is a better overall option for kids and adults.
Breakfast taquitos can be filled with any of your favorite ingredients. Taquitos are often spicy and commonly served with salsa. For those of you who may have heartburn issues like me, I choose to not start my morning off with a spicy meal.
Traditional taquitos are fried in oil. These taquitos are baked, so they are lower in fat. You can make them ahead of time and simply reheat them for about 5-10 minutes in the oven or toaster oven.
Ham & Cheese Breakfast Taquito
- 5-6 whole wheat flour tortilla shells
- 3 scrambled eggs
- 2-3 slices of ham or Canadian Bacon
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a baking pan with olive oil spray.
- To soften tortilla's if needed cover them with a damp paper towel and heat in a microwave for 10 seconds.
- Divide egg, ham, and cheese among tortilla shells placing ingredients toward the edge of each tortilla.
- Starting at the end you place your ingredients gently roll tortilla from end to end.
- Place taquitos seam side down on your prepared baking pan.
- Spray taquitos evenly with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure tortillas are soft before you roll them otherwise they may rip.
- Fill with any ingredients you wish: cooked veggies, other breakfast meat, and different cheeses.
- You can freeze leftovers by wrapping them in plastic wrap and then placing the taquitos in a freezer bag.
- To eat frozen taquitos defrost in the microwave for 30-45 minutes and then heat in the oven for 5 minutes.