Mexican Street Corn Empanadas
Empanadas are one for the 2016 Google Food Trends. They are a stuffed pastry that can be eaten as an appetizer, snack, or quick lunch. Mexican Street Corn makes a great meatless choice.
Servings 12 Empanadas
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter
- 1 can Libby's Whole Kernel Sweet Corn drained and rinsed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice about one lime
- 2 ounces of Queso Blanco you can also use Queso Fresco or Cojita Cheese cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro use fresh if available
- 2 Sheets of prepared puff pastry
- Egg Wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
Add corn to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes until heated.
Season corn with cayenne pepper, chili powder, and salt and continue to cook for another minute.
In a small bowl mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, and lime juice. Pour over corn and stir to coat.
Sprinkle dried cilantro onto corn.
While corn is cooking prepare your pastry dough by cutting out 3-inch circles with a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter.
Place about 1 tablespoon of corn and 2-3 pieces of Queso Blanco in the center of each circle.
Fold the dough over and press edges together with a fork.
Brush each Empanada with egg wash.
Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with salsa or cilantro lime sauce
Serving: 1Empanada | Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.8g | Protein: 1.6g | Fat: 5.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 4.7mg | Sodium: 109.6mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 1.1g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg