Servings 8 bowls
- 2 thin strips of low salt bacon chopped fine
- ½ Vidalia onion chopped fine
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 32 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen mixed vegetables (example carrots, green beans, peas, corn)
- 1 cup uncooked small salad macaroni or other small pasta
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- Few grains of black pepper
- 1 10 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed No added salt if available.
- 1 10 ounce can red kidney beans No added salt if available.
- Fresh parsley chopped fine
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
In a heavy saucepan cook bacon and oil with olive oil 2-3 minutes on medium heat until onion is translucent.
Stir in broth, tomatoes (broken up) with juice, vegetables, macaroni, basil, and pepper.
Bring soup to a boil of medium high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
Stir in beans.
Cook 2 minutes more.
Sprinkle with parsley and cheese after portioned out.
- If you don't have bacon or wish to not use bacon you can use turkey bacon or cooking oil (olive or canola).
- If you don't have onion you can use onion powder if you have that. (about 1 tsp).
- Any broth will do if you need to substitute chicken broth. A vegetable broth will work as well.
- You can use any beans you wish.
- Any pasta will be ok even if the pasta is not small like the directions say.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 263mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 66IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg